Q: What is an “underrepresented racial/ethnic minority”?
- Underrepresented minority groups refers to individuals who are African-American, Hispanic, or Native American.
Q: When will I find out if I am accepted into the Institute?
- We will notify you no later than April 1st whether or not you have been accepted into OSSI.
Q: Will admission to the OSSI guarantee admissions to the Organizational Science PhD program?
- Although OSSI will prepare students aspiring to attend graduate school with valuable research experience, it will not guarantee admission into the OS PhD program. Admissions to the OS PhD program are highly competitive and admissions to that program are based on a number of factors.
Q: How much research experience can really be gained in a one-week Institute?
- The purpose of the institute is to expose students to the research process. It is the responsibility of the student and the home school mentoring professor to continue working on the project. Our institute will help the student identify a suitable research topic and connect with faculty interested in pursuing that project with the student at the home university.
Q: What will I be doing at the Institute?
- Be prepared for intensive learning, GRE preparation, research activities, and networking opportunities. Each Fellow’s specific experience will depend on their Mentor. At the end of the Institute, all fellows will be required to present on their work.
Q: What should I do in preparation for the Institute?
- You may receive preparatory readings from your mentors. If so, please read these ahead of time to gain some foundational knowledge about organizational science.
Q: Will food and lodging be provided?
- Meals and lodging are provided—starting with dinner on Sunday and ending with lunch on Friday.
Q: What should I bring?
- To ensure that you get the most out of the Institute, it is highly encouraged that you bring any materials that you receive from us before the Institute (e.g., readings from your mentors, contact list, etc.) as well as a portable storage device (e.g., flash drive) to store any work that you do during the Institute. If you have a laptop, we highly encourage you to bring it. If not, we can loan you one for the week.
Q: Will I need to have cash?
- Most of the expenses are covered by the institute. However, you should bring cash in case you are interested in purchasing items of your individual interest during social events.
Q: What is the dress code?
- There will be one event for which business casual attire is required. For the rest of the institute, casual attire is encouraged. There will be a lot of walking. Bring comfortable shoes and even an umbrella.