The Organizational Science Summer Institute is an annual, week-long graduate school preparatory program for members of populations that are underrepresented in graduate school and fields of organizational science. Our mission is to help diversify the pipeline for graduate school and of professionals working in organizational-related fields. We encourage students who are interested in applying to graduate school and studying organizations using perspectives from I/O, sociology, psychology, communication studies, or management to apply.
OSSI 2021 will be held from May 16th to May 20th, 2021.
Goals & Objectives
The Organizational Science Summer Institute is designed with the following goals in mind:
- Foster undergraduate interest and ability in research, scholarship, application and graduate study
- Provide hands-on development of research conceptualization, writing, and presentation skills and GRE Training
- Expose students to a supportive graduate climate that values diverse disciplinary, demographic, methodological, and intellectual perspectives
- Demonstrate to participants that a career in organizational science offers an exciting challenge and that they are fully capable of pursuing and succeeding in such careers
- Help students develop a competitive application for graduate school (including personalized attention on their personal statements)
OSSI research fellows will engage in a number of activities including, but not limited to:
- Guidance in identifying which graduate programs are best suited to fellows’ research interests
- Expert advice on crafting personal statements and other application materials
- Networking with other Fellows
- Meeting with successful professionals in Organizational Science
- Intensive seminars on professionalization and the research process
- One-on-one meetings with faculty and current graduate students to discuss professional and research interests
- Learn about what grad admissions committees are really looking for when accepting students into grad school
- GRE Training, which includes a free voucher to enroll in Princeton Review’s Ultimate GRE Training class after OSSI week (at a time that is convenient for the fellow)
Typically, we invite our Fellows to join us in Charlotte, North Carolina for the week. However, given the ongoing pandemic and risks associated with travel and face-to-face interaction, we will be hosting our program virtually this year (as we also did in May 2020 due to COVID-19). Although we won’t be able to meet in person, our Fellows can still expect the same high-quality preparatory sessions, interactions with faculty and graduate students, and networking with their peers during OSSI 2021.
Our first virtual cohort reported extremely positive experiences during the OSSI 2020. Check out their thoughts about the program on the “Fellows’ Experiences” page.